Tuesday, February 3, 2009

About Pennies for the Homeless

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Pennies for the Homeless, I'd like to provide you some background information about this rewarding organization. In 1993, retired Judge Diane Dal Santo and salon owner and stylist Joseph Saavedra founded Pennies for the Homeless, a 501-(c) 3 organization. They were discussing how people often think that pennies are a "pain", but "when you put them all together they can do a lot of good work". Through this conversation, the organization began. They began raising money through the Albuquerque Public School (APS) Penny Drive where milk cartons are used throughout Albuquerque Public Schools classrooms to collect pennies, inform students about the rising problem of homelessness, and encouraged them to bring spare change to donate. The funds from the milk cartons arre then distributed to various shelters around the city.

In 1998, Pennies for the Homeless expanded through a high tea and fashion show, where designers and models from around the world come to what is now Hotel Albuquerque to put on a fashion show, then auction the clothing to guests to raise funds for the homeless. In order to attend this function, people initially pay $75 per ticket in which 86% of the money goes directly to shelters (the other 14% cover administration costs) and can bid on silent auction items or on the featured clothing.

Finally, their mission statement which says it all...
"Our mission is to educate students, professionals and the general public about the reality of homelessness while directly funding shelters, meal centers, day cares and other efforts to improve the quality of life for homeless people."


  1. Hi Regan,
    Great job on your blog! It really looks nice and is very profeshional. I especially like how you mixed the red borders with the black background.

    Your introductory blog was great as well, I found it to be very informative and explicit. I also liked how you subtitled it "a blog by a volunteer." I think that that will help to distinguish you as presenting first hand expierence as opposed to simply being a blog about Pennies for the Homeless.

    Your profile is very good too. I know you wanted to keep it pretty anonymous and I think you did a good job of balancing the line between anonymity and obscurity.

    I think it would be really interesting if you did your next blog on one of your personal expierences with pennies for the homeless. I think that would create a personal touch that would attract people.

    Good job again! See you on Tuesday...


  2. Looks good, Regan. You explain your volunteer organization well. It will be interesting to see what kind of stuff you'll post here.

    I like the layout, too. The pennies picture is a nice touch.


Support CC - 2008